25 July, 2009

Homemade Deodorant

When I saw this post on Lifehacker it perked my interest! I'm always looking for a non aluminium deodorant and the ones available can be quite pricey and not particularly effective.

With the option of adding any kind of essential oil, the possible combinations could be endless!


To start you will need the following:

1/4 cup corn starch

1/4 cup baking soda

2 tbsp coconut oil

2-3 drops of essential oils (optional)

2-3 drops vitamin E (optional)

empty container for new deodorant




Start by mixing the cornstarch with the baking soda.

Then add your choice of essential oil - some good options are teatree, sandalwood, lemon, lavender & neem. Of course if I would add vanilla & chocolate flavours if they had them, i mean who wouldn't want chocovanili scented armpits?!

Now add 2 tbs of coconut oil and a few drops of vitamin E oil (for skin softening purposes). They mention on the website to buy coconut oil with the high melting point rather than the medium kind.

Mix up the ingredients until they start to form a lovely silky mass, sort of like melted white chocolate (most my analogies are to chocolate, fyi).

I felt my mixture was a little toooo silky so I added equal amounts of cornstarch & baking soda to thicken it up.

At this point I was ready to pack it into my container.

And you're done! How easy was that?! You can make personalized deodorant with the items in your pantry. Allow this to set for a couple of days before using.


Don't forget to add a label so your deodorant is easily recognizable!

'Help for Grace's Stinky Pits!
apply liberally...often!'

For the original article please follow this link.


No comments:

Post a Comment